Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Evans Artist Spotlight - Max Mullinix - The Colts Drum and Bugle Corps

NAME: Max Mullinix

AGE: 28

CURRENT JOB(S): Percussion Caption Head/Arranger Colts Drum and Bugle Corps, Percussion Director Kennesaw Mountain High School, Designer/Arranger Forsyth Central High School.


YEARS AT POSITION: 7

THE EARLY YEARS: I grew up in the Indianapolis, IN area and I attend Jacksonville State University as a music education major.

ONE THING YOU ARE PRACTICING RIGHT NOW IS: Drumset

MY PLAYLIST OF “TOP (5) SONGS” WOULD INCLUDE: Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears, UFO Tufo by Bela Fleck, Lux Aurumque by Eric Whitacre, Clair de Lune by Claude Debussy, and Both Sides Now by Joni Mitchell

QUICK PRACTICE TIP: Never practice to get things right, always practice to not get things wrong.

WORST NON-MUSIC RELATED JOB, DESCRIBE: When I was 18 and just starting college I worked as a cook. The place I worked at was called Jefferson's in Jacksonville, AL. I lasted five days in that job...yes, I'm a wimp :).

HOBBIES INCLUDE: I spend a lot of time with my wife movie watching in the evenings. On days off my wife and I will go to parks or aquariums. If we are not doing that we will spend time at home with our dog Rascal.

WHAT EVENT, PERSON, OR MOMENT HAD THE MOST IMPACT ON YOU AS A MUSICIAN? I remember standing on the field in Wisconsin in the 2002 DCI season. We were at a rehearsal in Pardeeville, WI and it was my age out year with the Cavaliers. Ensemble that day was really one the the most enjoyable days on tour I can remember. About half way through the rehearsal we were running the end of the opener and into the ballad. I remember the high energy of the opener fading away and blending itself transparently right into the next movement. The one clearest and effecting thing for me that summer is when I didn't play. The trumpets had a beautiful sustain that transfered the movements. That one moment made me realize that I wanted to continue with the activity as long as I could.

WHAT WOULD YOU BE IF NOT A MUSICIAN, WHY? I think I would have gone in a public relation or commercial sales route. I really enjoy selling things and the psychological side of it. I still read marketing books and self development books very often. Its amazing how those things even apply to what I am doing now. So, for my second career I would love to go the industry route and be a marketing director or a artist relation manager for a percussion company. I think that way I could get both things that I absolutely love.

WHAT TIPS CAN YOU GIVE TO YOUNG MUSICIANS LOOKING TO MAKE A CAREER OF MUSIC? I think the things that helped me the most didn't come from a classroom. I think one of the most important tips is; Playing nice with others. This basically means to be nice with the people that you work with. There are many different ways to do things and you should be open to learning them. Never get stuck in the "my way is the only way" philosophy. Most people that get like that just don't ever try new things. We as composers and arrangers always have to keep this in mind. Its always in the best interest of the ensemble to be open minded. That doesn't mean give in to everything. But, if the guard needs a sound or a series of sounds to help motivate their visual phrase, TRY IT! The big picture is always the most important. And I have had somethings like I didn't want to put in turn out to be my favorite part of the show. This of course applies to every part of working with others. Be open and try listen to others thoughts. Some other things to help would be how dependable you are. Of course with music time is very important as a performer and a writer. So I guess that would be my other major suggestion. Be on time, every time!!! People really respect hard work and if you keep it up someone will give you a great opportunity.

For more information on Max visit HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment