Wednesday, March 25, 2009

About Me - Jim Bailey (Part I)

I have always had a fascination with drums. This much has been obvious my entire life. As far back and any of my family members can remember, I have always had an inclination to ‘make music’ with pot, pans, and whatever else would make a noise when I hit it. My earliest significant memory when I actually gained clarity that I had a real fascination with drums and percussion was (funny enough) during an episode of Mr. Rogers when he went to visit his local music store. I remember only a few things, but those things I remember well. The local ‘drum guy’ gave Mr. Rogers a drum lesson on a beautiful gold sparkle snare drum. The drummer taught Mr. Rogers (and the viewers) two rudiments, the Paradiddle and the ratamaque. Two down (PAS 40 International Drum Rudiments) and thirty-eight to go!

That was somewhere in the mid to late 1970’s (if you couldn’t tell from the gold sparkle drum). It was a few years later that my obsession with marching percussion kicked in to high gear. When I was about 11 I saw my local high school marching band in a parade…probably the annual 4th of July parade. While watching the percussion section, my attention was drawn (for no particular reason) to the tenor section…of which consisted of two high school students playing tri-toms. I remember the sound to this day and I have to say, it was compelling! The deep, tangy sound of those tri-toms instantly hooked me and I became an instant lifer of the tenor drums. This became the instrument I marching in high school and drum corps before returning to drum corps as a tenor tech and eventually caption head of several drum corps.

One of the two students playing tenors that day would not only influence me to follow my passion with percussion, but also motivate me to march with the drum corps that became my other obsession, The Cavaliers. Those of you who follow marching percussion with particular detail may know my mentor, Pat McGowan. Pat played in the Cavalier tenor line from 1988 until 1991 and was one of the most significant people to help development the Cavalier tenor style that became so definitive in the early 90’s. If you don’t know him by name, you surely know his cadence, “Bunco Rules”, which he wrote for the Cavaliers drumline in 1990. This cadence became an instant classic and was performed by the Cavalier drumline from 1990 until I wrote a cadence called Cobham’s Revenge, which replaced it almost 12 years later. After that parade I ran home and convinced my parents to let me join band. I enrolled into summer percussion class right away and began to study percussion with a few of my neighborhood friends.

Percussion in high school was fun. The band was not all that great, and we didn’t go to huge festivals like BOA, PASIC. The Spartan Festival (Chicago) was too far and WGI had barely started its percussion circuit. Nonetheless drumline was fun because everyone enjoyed it and wanted to be great. Practices were carefully balanced with standard drumline antics and the right amount of serious work needed to bring all of us together. We had no instructor. Only armed with a handful of DCI videos and the inspiration of a fellow Highland band member now Cavalier. The practice fields of Highland, Indiana is where I got my first real taste of the type of dedication and work needed to function and succeed in a top 12 caliber drumline. In 1989 I decided to get my first real taste of drum corps. I signed up to audition for the Cavaliers drumline. I was 13 years old. As you can imagine, this was quite a schooling for me. Despite being immediate cut from tenors, I did manage to survive two cuts from the bass drum line that weekend. I was pretty proud of myself. In hindsight, I am sure the staff was simply investing in my future and allowing me to get a full weekend of experience before getting news that would simply devastate any 13 year old. I promised myself I would never return to that camp again unless I was 100% certain I would not walk away disappointed. Six years passed as I gained more experience necessary to ace the audition and claim a spot in the drum corps of my dreams. (to be continued…)

No comments:

Post a Comment