Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Evans Artist Spotlight - Chris Deviney - Philadelphia Orchestra



NAME: Chris Deviney

AGE: 43

CURRENT JOB: Principal Percussionist, Philadelphia Orchestra

YEARS AT CURRENT POSITION: 6

THE EARLY YEARS: (some information on where you grew up, where you studied, degree(s) earned) Grew up in North Carolina and Florida. Went to Florida State University for undergrad degree in Music Performance, Temple University for Master’s Degree.

ONE THING YOU ARE PRACTICING RIGHT NOW IS: Solo marimba literature and a marimba part to a percussion ensemble composition at Curtis.

MY PLAYLIST OF “TOP SONGS” WOULD INCLUDE: Anything by Pat Metheny, Gary Burton, or Chick Corea.

QUICK PRACTICE TIP: Practice slowly and only increase speed by two clicks of the metronome after you’ve played it perfectly 5 times in a row.

WORST NON-MUSIC RELATED JOB, DESCRIBE: Hardest was picking tobacco as a 14-yr. old; worst was working at a golf course putting in drainage lines (ditch digger).

HOBBIES INCLUDE: Recently learned to scuba dive; will golf anytime I’m available.
WHAT EVENT, PERSON, OR MOMENT HAD THE MOST IMPACT ON YOU AS A MUSICIAN? The person who has made the greatest impact on me as a musician is Alan Abel. He is a fabulous musician but also a kind-hearted individual who gives his all to anyone studying with him. His generosity knows no boundaries and his encouragement is legendary. He never settled for anything mediocre but always made you feel that you were important to him. Lessons were always at his house in his basement (with tea provided if you were so inclined) so you felt like you were a part of his immediate family. This kind of support system is rare these days but one that I try to recreate in my own teaching. Trying to emulate his special sense of caring and effort is the best tribute I can give to him.

MOST MEMORABLE PERFORMANCE OR TRIP: My first time getting to go on tour with the Philadelphia Orchestra in 1991 was especially memorable. It was my first time in Europe and the opportunity to perform in some of the best acoustic concert halls in the world was really special. Getting to play next to the percussionists in the Philly percussion section was also a treat. I learned so much just observing how they produced their sounds and how they presented themselves on stage. I also had a side project that was all my own that I still continue with today. I researched the locations of graves of famous composers (mostly in Paris and Vienna) and did grave rubbings of their tombstones on large sheets of parchment. They hang in my house in large black frames. It sounds strange, but seeing the graves of these people actually brought them to life for me in a way. They weren’t just names on a piece of paper but instead were real people who struggled with the same aspects of life we all struggle with.

WHAT WOULD YOU BE IF NOT A MUSICIAN, WHY? If I couldn’t be a musician but could pick any other job in the world, I would definitely be an NFL referee. I officiated high school football for 8 years and was on the field any Friday night I wanted until I moved to Texas in 1998 (where 8 years experience meant little compared to people with 12 years and more…). With a newborn daughter, I gave up officiating realizing that I wouldn’t see her grow up at the pace I was setting. It was a great hobby while it lasted and being on the field during a high energy football game was always a thrill and something I’ll never forget.
For more information about Chris Deviney

No comments:

Post a Comment